miércoles, 12 de diciembre de 2018

Post 9 Changes to my study programme

When I was in school I thought that the Universidad de Chile was the best. Now, with 3 years in this career and 4 more in my previous one, I can say that this university still exist because of the glorious past.

My career lasts 5 years, in the fourth year you get a degree and in the last year, after the thesis, you get the job tittle: artist. This "job tittle" is useless, of course. Please, tell me one job where one of the request is having the tittle of artist. Short answer: no job. The people in charge of the career want to change this and make art studies shorter in one semester, so it would lasts 4 years and a half to get the degree. That makes more sense in my head. Besides, if they want to promote that your students follow postgraduate studies, that is the best way.  Still, 4 years is more than enough. That half semester is BS.

Other thing I would change is some of the subjects. One is this useless subjects called "Curso Transversal", is an interdisiplinary class with the other art careers. Nobody learned nothing of the other careers, only hate group work. The other one is "Gestión de proyectos artísticos". I mean, is not that this is a bad subject. What bothers me is that this class only teach you to apply for art funds. They don't teach you how much your creations are worth and that is a huge problem. If you don't know the price of your work, then you can't know the fair price and that means that galleries and potential buyers may pay you less and you don't even know.

The methology differs from teacher to teacher. I hate this free spirit hippy thing that teachers just give you a grade and you don't even know why. They just feel it. I think a requirements table is a good idea to standardize  the grades. The technology is different in every workshop, but the ones that need more thing that they can't buy, like ovens, works really bad.

The buildings and infrastructure are sad. This faculty is falling apart piece by piece because nobody wants to pay for improvements. No ovens for the workshops that need it, no ceilings that works when it's raining. Even the floor tiles are bad.

This faculty only have the prestige. Nothing more.

2 comentarios: